Gibran on Beauty

This blog is a place of love, of inspiration, and of beauty. I am sitting today in my brother’s lovely home in Washington DC, a place of unusual beauty, much of it honoring America. But it is also such an international city with its many embassies and international headquarters. So other cultures of the world are honored here in the form of art, architecture, music…. all unique forms of beauty.

A quiet heart is a place of beauty.

A kind word, when harshness was the easy path, is a thing of beauty.

A moment of compassion, when life seems so unfair, is an act of beauty.

One of my early heroes, Khalil Gibran, famously known for his breathtakingly beautiful book, The Prophet, remains so to this day.

Here he speaks on Beauty:

Where shall you seek beauty,
and how shall you find her
unless she herself be your way and your guide?
And how shall you speak of her
except she be the weaver of your speech?

The aggrieved and the injured say,
“Beauty is kind and gentle.
Like a young mother half-shy of her own glory
she walks among us.”And the passionate say,
“Nay, beauty is a thing of might and dread.
Like the tempest she shakes the earth beneath us
and the sky above us.”The tired and the weary say,
“Beauty is of soft whisperings.
She speaks in our spirit.
Her voice yields to our silences like a faint light
that quivers in fear of the shadow.”

But the restless say,
“We have heard her shouting among the mountains,
And with her cries came the sound of hoofs,
and the beating of wings and the roaring of lions.”

At night the watchmen of the city say,
“Beauty shall rise with the dawn from the east.”

And at noontide the toilers and the wayfarers say,
“We have seen her leaning over the earth
from the windows of the sunset.”

In winter say the snow-bound,
“She shall come with the spring leaping upon the hills.”

And in the summer heat the reapers say,
“We have seen her dancing with the autumn leaves,
and we saw a drift of snow in her hair.”

All these things have you said of beauty,
Yet in truth you spoke not of her but of needs unsatisfied,
And beauty is not a need but an ecstasy.
It is not a mouth thirsting nor an empty hand stretched forth,
But rather a heart enflamed and a soul enchanted.

Kahlil Gibran

8 Responses to Gibran on Beauty

1. bridgett December 6, 2012 at 7:30 pm #

Wow ….those words touched my soul ! Its like you talking about someone I know and she really needs this for soul guiding ,she is going through a lot and hiding it all by put a sile that is so real and she hates reality ,prefers living her life online and in dreams -visions! Though she has her mother next to her ,she won’t speak out what’s in her heart and its because her mom doesn’t understand and maybe a stranger will …. Can I have the book as my christmas gift ! That will mean a lot .

• December 19, 2012 at 6:18 am #

Thank you Bridgett :) I’m so happy to know you were touched by the post. Gibran’s words have been touching me since i first read him more than 40 years ago! Enjoy this site, and the Facebook page too. But most importantly, try to find “what makes your heart sing”. And check out my site with that name: http://WhatMakesYourHeartSing.net Take care dear

• Minewi January 18, 2013 at 1:15 am #

Frankly I think that’s absloutley good stuff.

• January 18, 2013 at 5:40 am #

Thanks Minewi :)

• Victor February 2, 2013 at 11:02 am #

I am currently finhsiing up my BA in Child Development and Family Studies and thus far I have only work with children from 2 weeks to adolescent while helping support their families. The Physician that I would want to work under is an Obstetrics (OB) because they are in direct contact with pregnant women and their children during pregnancy. I would choose this particular specialty for a variety of reason such as having the opportunity to see individuals become parent for the first time, seeing how much love is surrounded in the process, being there to help the mothers while there in a vulnerable state. One of my main reasons is because I think that the whole birthing process is fascinating and to be able to be a part of family’s lives while going through this process, I imagine to be extremely rewarding.A of physician specialty that I would least want to work with would be a psychiatrist. Although I believe that psychiatrist do some spectacular work and help a lot of people through difficult situations I personally believe that this job would be to emotionally draining and overwhelming for me. This makes me question whether or not I would be able to handle it. When I set out to do a job my goal is to do the best that I can and I don’t feel that I could successfully do this job to the best of my ability.

2. Burhan January 18, 2013 at 5:28 am #

Could you write about Physics so I can pass Scicene class?

3. January 18, 2013 at 5:41 am #

Thanks a lot. Come back …. and bring friends ;-)

4. January 18, 2013 at 5:40 am #

Sorry but I’m not very good at Physics. You’re on your own :)